Renovate Rehabilitation Medicine Program, Building 64, Main Hospital
Client: North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System, Lake City, Florida
Paradigm provided complete design and construction period services for this Lake City VAMC Rehab project. It involved an approximately 5,800 square foot renovation of space housing the Rehabilitation Medicine program located on the second floor of Building 64, Main Hospital. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service (PM&RS) is a complex and diverse specialty service comprised of Psychiatry, Physical Therapy, Kinesiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, and Recreation Therapy sections. PM&RS provides comprehensive functional assessment and treatment of functional deficits to eligible veterans, Champ VA, and employee patients.
The goal of this project was to renovate the Physical Medicine space in order to not only improve overall patient flow, but to also improve how care is delivered on a daily basis. This was accomplished by creating group space for team interaction and integration. Individual patient treatment rooms were also created, which gave much needed privacy during healthcare delivery. Paradigm also performed asbestos and lead-based paint abatement as part of this renovation.
The scope of the work for the Lake City VAMC Rehabilitation renovation project included:
- Extensive construction coordination and phasing provided, as suite remained active during construction
- Design drawings that reflect proper work times coordinated with the hospital
- New space designed with a more centralized waiting and reception area
- New open multi-functional area with exercise equipment to assess patient progress
- New hand therapy area
- Four private treatment rooms
- Four office spaces
- Design work compliant with the space criteria referenced in PG-18-9 “Space Planning Criteria for VA Facilities”